Monday, September 11, 2006

Identity Crisis

My hair is kind of a darkish strawberry blond with light blond highlights and sometimes it looks just orange overall. It's long and curly and pretty. I know it's pretty because people stop my on the street and tell me. I'm not saying I'm pretty (which I am, of course), alls I'm saying is that I have it on authority that my hair is pretty.

What my hair also is, is controversial. I had two separate conversations, just this past weekend, where people argued with me about the color of my hair and were angry, nearly offended by how I chose to define it.

I consider myself a redhead. Red is the dominant hue, I have a readhead's complexion, including a quantity of freckles, and my personality is most closely aligned with the stereotypical redhead's personality. I am a redhead.

People disagree. The problem is they also disagree with my being a blond, brunet, dirty blond, light brown, dark blond, and just about any other modestly resemblant haircolor I can come up with. There is no hair camp with whom I can rightfully identify.I'm shunned by all.


Whatever. I don't feel a strong need to "belong" per se, but people get angry with me. "You're not a redhead." "You're not a blond." I have to be something. So tell, me people, what the hell am I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just show them your bush: that'll shut up the naysayers. I mean. Not that I've seen it.

K said...

You are a redhead. I've always thought so and always will!