Tuesday, January 18, 2005

NYC Baby

This is day three of my new life as a New Yorker. I'm still experiencing a little insomnia, so was up at 5:15 am. I putzed around all morning, then went to open a checking account at my new bank, Chase. I selected Chase b/c it's the first bank I encounter when exiting the train. It was close between Chase and Citibank, but I think I still owe Citibank from my credit-induced stupor college days, so I didn't want to alert them to my whereabouts.

Equipped with 8 new checks and a brand new Chase banking card, I hit Manhattan to shop for a mattress pad. With my trusty Not For Tourists book at my side, I quickly found Bed, Bath and Beyond and treated myself to the bottom of the line, $19.99 polyester-fill queen-size mattress pad. I was tempted by the $24.99 waterproof option, but I think I can control myself.

I'm happy to report the my maiden solo voyage into Manhattan was successful in that I got what I went for, I did not end up in Brooklyn or the Bronx, I did not freeze to death or get hit by a taxi, and I made absolutely no kind of fool of myself (that I know of). It was a good day.

I would love to post pictures of my fabulous adventures, but I stupidly packed up the USB cable that connects my camera to my computer and it's currently in my storage locker back in St. Paul. If anyone has an extra win/mac USB cable for an Olympus D-540 send it my way.

No comments: